Tuesday 7 September 2010

An Apology

Ok, so. I like to write those long, literary-esque blog posts. I rather enjoy them. Much better than saying “and then I did this…”. But they take time. I’m digging during the day but I brought a lot of work for uni that needs to be done and I told myself to do it. And I do need to do it, it’s much more important than you all knowing about what particular metaphor I would like to use to describe Brasov in a horribly pretentious first-person narrative (it’s a personal blog, if you don’t like it, get your own :D). Worst case I’ll retell the same stories a million times over. I’m noting down plans to jog my memory of the events, for the blog posts, so I guess eventually you’ll get more stories. I have pretty pictures, interesting anecdotes and odd videos (OMIGOSH THAT WAS TOTALLY A TRICOLON CRESCENS WITH A HYPERBATIC THIRD PHRASE INTERRUPTING THE CONSONANCE/ASSONANCE PLAY don’t listen to me, I’ve had too much Tzuica). But later. Yeah, you get your blogs WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT.

So, to let you all know what you really want to know:

  • I’m having a great time, and I’m learning more than I could have ever imagined about myself and life in general.
  • My Romanian really only consists of thank you (multumesc), good morning/day/evening//good night (buna diminatsa/ziua/seara//napte buna), cheers (narroc), please (va rog), I am (sunt), gerunds are formed by a –tul ending, yes/no (da – yes, just like Russian –/nu), and the most important fact: MOST ROMANIANS SPEAK ENGLISH! I met a kid, Lucian, in the internet cafe on Wednesday who was 13 and spoke nearly fluent English. We’re Facebook’d now.
  • The other three volunteers are: Kirstine, the Dane (AKA Vicky the Viking), Sophie, the German (AKA The Hamburger) and Lena, the other German (AKA Cleo). My nickname is Gunther. Apparently it is applied to well-hung Austrian men and ugly Germans. Go figure.
  • I have found bones, pottery and a bit of an inscription. Currently we are in Sarmizegetusa excavating the Capitolium (temple to Capitoline Jupiter) and a drainage channel built by someone after another temple was ruined (this temple is to three Persian gods… can’t remember the weird names). Going to Arad this weekend for the remainder to dig up Bronze Age Thracian pits. Apparently there are SKELETONS!
  • Tzuica is made from apples, plums, any sugary fruit – best from plums or pears. Sasa (my roomie PhD student Archaeological buddy) says I should tell you that.
  • I am currently listening to Evanescence. iPhone speakers are working a treat because these new headphones sound like being underwater.
  • I have a mild sunburn on the back of my lower upper-arms (around the elbow). Aside from that I’m healthily tanned.
  • My beard is awesome. Will send pics before it gets shaved (if ever).
  • The food here is… REALLY HUGE PORTIONS. Speaking of which, dinner time! TTYL, lots of love darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment